January 13, 2012

Number Seven

The number 7 has great historical significance. God created the world and rested on the seventh day. In most world religions, the number 7 has special significance related to perfection and completion. The 7th day of the week is a holy day of rest. If you believe in numerology the number 7 represents the "scholarly and esoteric" forces of magic. For Kyle and I, seven now has its own special magic. On December 31st we celebrated our 7th year of marriage. I remember thinking to myself as a newlywed, "When we've been married seven years, we will officially be an 'old' married couple." Seven years is the median marker for marriages in the United States according to the research summaries I've read, hence the "seven year itch." On our anniversary this year Kyle and I talked about whether or not it feels like we have been married seven years. We both concluded that we feel like we have been married much longer, and much shorter, than 7 years. In so many ways the time has flown by! Our memories of our first days as a married couple and our wedding are still so vivid in our minds. When we look back at all we have accomplished together, it seems impossible that we haven't been married even longer. One thing is certain, we haven't had time to get bored or itchy. Our lives have become an interwoven fabric of lazy days, doing the dishes, putting a grumpy baby to bed, working late, climbing mountains, finding new jobs, laughing until we roll on the floor, cooking dinners, sitting atop the Roman gate, moving to one state, then another, and then back again, grad school exams, student loan payments, more exams, dinners out, breakfast for dinner, chasing run away dogs, and holding hands as we fall asleep listening to our little girl sing her ABC's. What more is there in life? Why would we want anything else? I never would have, or could have, predicted the adventures that would lay before me walking toward Kyle that day in a church seven years ago. I don't think I would have understood the meaning each small moment would hold then. I should only be so lucky to celebrate 70 more anniversaries with my best friend. Cheers to us, Kyle! I cannot wait to experience the new adventures that lay in store for us in the next seven days, seven months, seven years.....

1 comment:

  1. Sweetly said my dear sister. I remember the day like yesterday. And what a path the two of you have been on...I also look forward to watching and being part of the next years of your life together.

    ReplyDelete